Welcome to the writing and drama blog. Sometimes I will be using the blog and other times the wiki but I will let you know. If you've been in the seminars before you know that you should check the blog around once a week to see if there are any questions to comment on.
Here's your first one . . .
What type of writing do you enjoy most? And . . . What do you hate the most about school writing?
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
The type of writing I enjoy most is creative writing and fiction. I get to figure out what I want to write about and come up with new ideas. In school, I hate prompts, especially if it's not something that applies or isn't important to me. I also hate if you never get to write a fiction story. I don't like a school yearor prompts, reports, and poetry. I also don't like writing poetry, but I do like reading it.
The types of writing I enjoy most are ceative writing and observations. I like creative writing because there are almost no restrictions, and observations because you can write a good paper about an object and you dont have to do much work. What I hate most about school writing is that even if it is a prompt against something or for something, it wouldn't mean anything because it would not affect the students, teachers or even our school. For example: a persuasive essay on uniforms. Our school already has a rule for no uniforms and even if we go through all this work to persuade someone that we shouldn't have uniforms (or vise versa)it wouldn't mean anything. I want my writing to mean something, even if it's a fictional story WITH A MORAL.
I enjoy realistic fiction the most. You can add things from your own life, into a story about a stranger. You can add things from friends lifes into the story, You can have character based on someone you know or someone your parents talk about they knew when they were kids. SA realistic fiction story can become something of a diary, or a way to explain somethign you normally can't to yourself. You can do the same with fantasy but I think it feels different when your writing realistic fiction.
What I don't like about school writing is theguide lines. In the beginning of the school year we learned about letter writing, and I write letter to my family all the time, but I never write the way they masde us practise. I don't mind prompts so much, but I don't like being judged on grammer and spelling. When I make a characted say "I'm gonna walk the dog" instead of "I'm going to walk the dog" I want them to say it like that. It's not a mistake. I think the teachers grading is what I hate most.
The type of writing I like writing the most is fiction, in general. Specifically, I like to write fantasy, realistic fantasy (I know it may be "made up", but it means that it is fantasy, but in modern times, for example Twilight), and realistic. I also like to write creative writings, which sometimes means that the writing that I am writing has no point to it, and it is just plain random. I really do not like (note that I did not use the word "hate", even though I really want to)prompts with absolutly no points in them, or prompts that have really bad ideas or cases, i.e. should we have school uniforms or not. Instead the school curriculum should let the student write whatever they want to. For persuasive essays, the school should let students write about something they want fight about, i.e. skaters and skating on the roads, graffiti artists and graffiti. In Language Arts, the teachers should focus on one point: Writing is an art, and like art, writing should be a free ; in art, you take whatever you want and put it on the piece, whether music or visual arts. In writing the writer should express themselves freely, and not confined to boundries, which sometimes push the students into so called "writer's block". These "writer's blocks" are actually caused by the small and intense boundries of what the teacher is forcing onto the kids.
I also hate when the teachers tell the student to write about A the student has to write about A, but not think about B, C, and D. Again, I think the student should be able to write freely, and express a lot of feeling into the writing, like what I am doing write now. I am pushing on a feeling of urgency, an urgency to change the stupid (sorry about my language) cirriculums in school. That is why I dislike school writing.
The type of writing that I enjoy most is fiction/fantasy. I enjoy writing fantasy because it allows me to really use my imagination and let my ideas run wild. I love writing about things that are magical and mystical because I know that even though they're impossible in real life, in my stories I can make ANYTHING possible and real.
What I hate about school writing is the strict directions and guidelines. I would rather let my imagination go free with a fantasy story then have to adhere to a prompt that in no way relates to my life. I hate being told to write about a specific topic because it takes all of the fun and creativity out of writing.
The type of writing that I enjoy most is just creative, free write. I like the freedom to say whatever we want to. I think writing fiction is my favorite, because I can think of whatever in the world, and write it down. What I hate about school writing, is the prompts about random things. I highly doubt that the school board will actually read these persuasive novels about wearing uniforms. I wish we would have more creative writing in school.
The type of writing i enjoy the most is creative writing. i enjoy this type of writing because i get to come up with everything that happens, the plot, the problem, and the resolution. i get to use my imagination and creative thinking skills to write.
What i hate most about school writing is that they give us too specific of guidelines. personally i need some type of idea or words or something to base my writing off of. in school writing they give me that, plus more. that doesn't let me use my imagination which i don't enjoy.
The type of writing I enjoy most is fantasy. I love to write about princesses and castles because I feel like when I write those kinds of stories I become more creative. I also like writing love stories because anyone can fall in love at any place, and any time. So that type of story lets you write freely. Plus I am a hopeless romantic! Both of those styles of writing really don't have any limits, and I think that is why I like them so much.
The thing I hate most about writing is the "perfect 5 paragraph essay." Whenever I think of writing in general I think of that line and it drives me crazy! For years teachers have drilled those rules of an essay into our heads. Its such a boring way to write and I hate writing in that format. I also hate writing boring prompts. They don't let me be creative while writing and usually they aren't anything I even want to write about. I feel those two things are the worst part of writing.
The type of writing that I enjoy is fictional writing because you can express yourself in any way you want and basically write whatever you want. I also like it because you can make whatever you want happen in the story. You can control the weather, the events, and the drama. Plus, you can decide if you want the story to be scary, magical, or realistic. What I hate most about school writing is the fact that they TRY to make all the prompts relate able but they aren't. Additionally, it is very difficult to write a persuasive paper about something that you don't care about.
I really enjoy many types of writing. I really enjoy writing realistic fiction or fantasy the most. I like how I am able to make whatever I want to happen in the story actually happen. In realistic fiction the characters can be based on real people who you know so it is fun to write. I also like to write books that would normally be realistic fiction, but ahve fantasy in them. I also enjoy reading these types of writing and I think that I want others to enjoy my writing as much as I enjoy others.
There are a lot of things that I don't like about school wirting. The fact that we have prompts and all these essays reaally annoys me. I don't like how when we have prompts they are VERY strict and we don't really have any creative thinking allowed. Plus, most of these prompts most likely we know will not happen or not in the near future. Some don't relate to us at all! THis gets really frustarating because since I can't relate, it is harder to write about.Also when teachers give us a prompt everyday that gets REALLY annoying! That is what I don't like about school writing and what I like to write.
I enjoy pretty much any kind of writing. I love writing where I can be the boss of what happens. I love when I put my ideas on paper and make them come alive. I mostly enjoy, but am not limited too, fiction. I also write down my observations about things in my daily life and the world around me. I like to write fiction probably because I want to envision something more exciting than my own life.
The thing I don't like about school writing is the limitations they have. I want to write what I want to write... and in my style of writing, not theirs. I wish that there was more free writes and creative pieces. I also hate how they make you follow an outline, as if they don't trust you as a writer. I know that its just to help us, but i wish they gave us more freedom
The kind of writing I like most is fictional. Any type of fiction will do, except fairy tales and realistic. It's so fun to make tales all my own that I can control. The ability to write whatever comes to mind is refreshing and very enjoyable. I love creepy science fiction, because twisted characters and stories are the easiest to make with that genre. I used to HATE science fiction, but now I think it's interesting. I like twisted stories with creepy villains that have an amazing backstory. Villains make the story in my opinion and I hope to make a cool one during this marking period.
This genre of writing can allow a lot of creativity and exhibits a lot of freedom. However, in school a format and prompt are handed out, obliterating those key characteristics. I mean, what's fun about writing something that you're told to do. Where's the freedom? I just don't understand how that can possibly make someone a good writer if everything is given and you just have to follow instructions. The lack of creativity is almost praised when you can write a paper that has all the information but no stye or pizzaz and still receive an A. I am thinking about having a job that requires plenty of writing, and how can I be prepared for it with these standard LA classes? It's just unreasonable.
The type of writing I like most is creative writing and fiction, because you can make the story however you want it to be, and there's no certain format or rules that you must follow. In fictional stories, as said by others, anything can happen, and you get to control what happens.
School writing is different. Teachers are told to teach students certain types of writing within a certain time limit. We've done it every year: Narritives, persuasive writing etc. I'm not saying that these types of writing are not important, it's just that you are restricted in some ways with what you must write about. In essays,or written responses, you are told to write about something that you might not really agree with or have interest in. I believe that if you write about things that you like, your writing will be better than if you write about things that you really don't care about.
The kind of writing I most enjoy are fiction and poetry. I like writing realistic fiction because you can relate your own life to it, and the situations are ones you can imagine yourself in, yet you can be creative, because it's fiction. I also like fantasy, because you can do anything you want, anything you can come up with. I like poetry, and I like to write many different styles and forms. In poetry there are many different ways to express yourself.
I don't really mind school writing, but I don't like when we have to write about a certain prompt, and I have a hard time getting started, because I can't relate to. I also don't like when the same prompts are used over and over. For example, I've probably had the school uniforms prompt at least 3 times now and it's boring to write the same things again and again.
I enjoy writing fiction the most, mainly fantasy. I like writing longer books than short stories, and one of my goals is to have a novel published before I turn 16. I also like the creative writing things we do (rarely) in Language Arts where you have to use certain words and write a story with them.
There are lots of things I don't like about school writing, but the thing that bugs me most is writing the same thing over and over again. Every single year we have to write a persuasive essay, and it's gotten to be extremely boring. The topics tend to be meaningless. I also don't like writing from a point of view that I don't support, which I often end of having to do.
The type of writing that I enjoy most would be free writing because I love to be able to write about what ever I want and let my mind be free. I enjoy this writing the most because it does not seem very stressful and I always know that I am doing no wrong because there is no wrong way. I feel that free writing is definitely my favorite type of writing because it can be short and sweet or complex and almost hard for readers to understand and easy for the author to understand.
The thing that I hate most about school writing is that we always have to write long pieces. The writing is never short, for instance our paragraphs have to be seven to ten sentences but we were taught that paragraphs are five to seven sentence. Another thing that I hate about school writing is that they send our hemes to the theme reader, who when she grades them she takes five points off if you did not have commas here or there. Although I dislike many things about school writing there is one thing that I enjoy about them is when you get to choose your topic to write about, I like this because my mind is free and I know that I can write about what ever I feel like writing at that very moment.
I enjoy writing fiction because you can make it anything you want it to be. It doesn't have to be realistic and you can make things up and you can make up words too. I don't like school writing because you can't just freely write whatever you want. There are many guidelines and they all have to be a certain length so you have to elaborate a lot and stretch out just a simple idea. I also don't like getting graded on grammar, punctuation, and spelling because then you aren't focusing as much on the actual writing going into the piece.
The type of writing that I enjoy most is creative writing because I get to turn my thoughts into words and put them on paper. What I hate the most about writing is when you have to write about somebody or something. I don't like to summarize reality because I think that it's less interesting.
~$yDnEy H~
The type of writing I enjoy most is random writing- the writing that, if you were to keep it in a book and page through it five years later, you would not remember how creative you were, but what your everyday life was like. Lists, observations, poems, and so on, but nothing fake. (Not to say that fiction isn't great, too- I love fiction- but this is about my favorite type, not second favorite.)
I don't really like school writing except for the occasional fiction story or poem. (Again: Fiction=My second favorite. I don't even bother to hope for my favorite, because teachers never allow it.) Most of the time, though, it's just prompts and research papers. I don't like how you are told what to write in school. The reason students aren't so creative is because they never have to think of their own topics- the teacher just hands topics to them. Also, I don't like how strictly the teachers grade writing and writing prompts. There is no better way to scare a kid off writing than giving them a failing grade on a 100-point project.
This is extra, but I think the people of SRC are very funny. I like the way they make Shakespeare very funny, especially the puppet show part of Hamlet.
Post a Comment